Wednesday Postcard is back this week featuring des cartes postales I bought during my 1998 visit to La Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal (Notre-Dame Basilica) located in Old Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- Architect James O’Connell designed the Notre-Dame Church in a neo-Gothic style
- It was built between 1824 and 1829
- From 1870 to 1900, the parish priest, Victor Rousselot along with Montréal architect, Victor Bourgeau designed the interior to be similar to the décor found in Sainte-Chapelle in Paris
- In 1982, Notre-Dame Church was raised to the rank of Basilica by Pope John Paul II to recognize its architectural, artistic, historical, and religious value
- In 1994, Céline Dion and René Angélil were married here
For more information:
Until the next Wednesday Postcard, à bientôt!