Bonjour! This week’s carte postale features the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin Headlands as a backdrop to the Main Post in the heart of the Presidio of San Francisco.
The Presidio is where San Francisco began.
- The indigenous Ohlone/Costanoan people lived in this area for thousands of years
- In 1776, Spain established a military fort on this land
- In 1821, Mexico won its independence from Spain and controlled the post and established a new pueblo nearby called Yerba Buena (later known as San Francisco)
- In 1846, the Presidio became a U.S. Army post
- In 1994, the Presidio became a national park site
For more information:
Until the next Wednesday Postcard, stay safe. A bientôt!
If you enjoyed this post, you may be interested in reading about my experience volunteering at the Presidio.